Saturday, 8 March 2014

Homemade tabletop finger paint

Last time we tried finger paint was not a pleasurable experience. For me, at least. Finn was about 16 months (I know, it's a long time!) and even though I set it up in the garden, I vividly remember the blue handprints on the sofa, cushions, carpet and clothes. I put him straight in the bath afterwards and had to actually scrub him for the paint to come off! So after that, I needed a long time to recover before we tried finger paint again!
 

I love the book First Art, by Mary-Ann Kohl, and we have tried many of the ideas in it. She has a recipe for finger paint in there that I'd thought we'd try, given that we needed to find an alternative finger paint!

 
I'm so glad we did try it! It was such a success, and both Finn and I had a fantastic time! Quick and easy to make, a great consistency, and a breeze to clean up!
 

I'm afraid I won't be able to give you the recipe here as I didn't come up with it myself, but do look up First Art, you won't be disappointed! It contains jelly powder (we used agar agar instead), which sets when the paint cools down. Finn was so eager that we didn't let the paint cool down completely before we started and we had the surprise to feel the texture change with the temperature. Fantastic!


A tip for cleaning up finger paint: Use a plastic lid as a scraper to get all the paint off the table in seconds!

Does your child like finger paint? Do you buy it or make it?

8 comments:

  1. I tried finger paints with E awhile ago, and she wasn't too sure about the whole situation... I should try again because I think she would probably love to finger paint now. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finn was the same when we first tried it last summer. He liked it but wasn't very engaged. What a difference with this time!

      Delete
    2. Hi Elsa, I just looked First Art up on Amazon and there are two editions - which one do you have? It looks like a great book! I really like the idea of open ended art activities.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure! I am away from home until next week so can't check right now but will do so asap!

      Delete
    4. I ended up ordering it, so no worries about checking on the edition. I am really looking forward to trying out the activities with Elise!

      Delete
  2. Do you have a link to the book you mentioned? I couldn't find it on Amazon.ca!
    We did finger paint not too long ago and Sixtine was delighted! She was a bit hesitant at first, looking for approval but she had a blast. We ended up bathing the girls hehe but I think we all had fun! Here is a link: http://sixtineetvictoire.com/edible-finger-paint/


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, here is the link to the publishers: http://www.gryphonhouse.com/store/trans/productDetailForm.asp?BookID=10017 Your fingerpaints look great and I like that they are edible!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...