Sunday, 9 March 2014

Inspired by others

One of the drawbacks of doing Montessori at home is that your child does not benefit from the social interaction with their peers. They don't get to observe other children use the materials and don't get inspired by anyone.
 
One of the ways I have found to somewhat counteract this (which we all agree can never replace true social interactions) is to show Finn Youtube videos of children using the materials in Montessori nurseries.
 
He was in awe as he watched a little girl build the Pink tower and two little boys building the Broad Stair and working with the Knobbed cylinders. He had never before seen another child use the same materials as him!
 
 Minutes later, I observed as he spontaneously picked the knobless cylinders off the shelf and built this:
 
 

When none of the videos even showed knobless cylinders!

Have you observed your children being inspired after watching others?

4 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog (via comments on S&V)!

    We have been watching Montessori videos too, and while I haven't noticed any immediate actions afterwards, I've been hoping he'll be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meghan, thanks for commenting! I've recently thought about displaying photographs of children working with the materials next to where the materials are kept. It reminds the child to put the material back and it (hopefully) inspires them! I have just have a quick look at your blog, Jasper is really cute :) I'll read it properly as soon as I can!

      Delete
  2. I often think about this exact same thing - thank you for bringing it up! The YouTube videos seem like a good source of inspiration. Elise would probably really enjoy them when she starts working with more traditional Montessori materials. This isn't quite the same thing, but sometimes we'll get a catalog in the mail and it will have an item or two that Elise has, and she'll get really excited about whatever it may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Finn loves it when he recognises things he has! Once he got really excited when he saw a plastic toy in a charity shop because he had just got the same one for his birthday. I didn't tell him, but I had paid a visit to that same shop the previous day to offload unwanted gifts. Oops!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...