Wednesday, 9 April 2014

A quick animal habitat activity

 
I gave Finn two containers, one filled with water, the other with soil. Handing him one of six animal figures, I asked him: "Does it live in the water or on the ground?" He understood right away and enjoyed sorting the animals according to their habitat. He was waiting for each new animal with such anticipation!
 
Using real water, real soil and objects to manipulate as opposed to photographs contributed to making the game appealing for Finn. He loved playing with the animals afterwards and repeating the exercise by himself. Simple but effective!



4 comments:

  1. Yay - a real-life sorting activity! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll be doing more of the same!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog some time ago! I really like your approach to Montessori-inspired life at home. Mainly, it doesn't seem overwhelming or overbearing. Also, your blog has inspired me as to some activities that I can do with my 2.5-year-old. I love the idea of painting with golf balls, and I will try having her match picture cards - I haven't done that yet with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lea, thank you for commenting. I remember reading your post about Montessori homeschooling not working for you and it had a big impact on the way I approach education for my son. My priority now is that it must be enjoyable for all of us. I trust him to learn by himself all of the time, maybe being closer to an unschooling approach, and I consider Montessori activities as "add-ons" only, certainly not as a curriculum. Montessori certainly is an approach that can bring immense benefits to all members of a family but only if those involved enjoy it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...