Sunday, 31 August 2014

Discovering sunflowers

It took us a while to realise that the two long, thick stems growing in our garden came from the sunflower seeds we casually dropped there a few weeks earlier. How amazing that we forgot about them and yet they grew to become two tall, strong plants. 
 
 
After its best days were over, I cut one of the flowers off and brought it inside for Finn to take the seeds out. We talked about how birds have a beak shaped a bit like the tweezers we were using to remove the seeds, and that's how they can eat them.
 

I opened a few of the seeds for us to eat and thought about how sunflower oil is made. We watched a video on Youtube and Finn really wanted to try pressing some seeds to get the oil! He understood from the video that you need a lot of seeds to make a drop of oil.


 I opened more seeds for him to grind using his pestle and mortar. Even though we didn't really get a drop, I hope that our oily fingers, after manipulating the pressed seeds, were enough for him to understand where plant-based oil comes from.


I thought about continuing with this topic since Finn seemed to be enjoying it. I wasn't sure if he was ready to follow directions to make a picture but I gave it a go!

The idea was to trace a circle using the frame from the insets (a Montessori material) and filling it in with black paint using finger prints. While waiting for that to dry, I showed him how to make potato stamps to make the sunflower petals. He tried the stamps but was more interested in covering his paper with yellow paint using a paintbrush. He was really engrossed, trying to fill in every bit of white, so I let him enjoy the process.


He noticed that my picture still had some white showing, but thankfully, he fixed that for me!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these activities around sunflowers.
    I love the idea of showing where the oil and sunflowers seeds are coming from. My 27-months old loves eating them and he easily recognized the sunflowers in the fields, but I had not thought of connecting both. Can't wait to try with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Vanessa! Your website is really nice, It makes me want to try a few of your vegetarian recipes :)

      Delete
  2. Grandad has been growing sunflowers too Finn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...