Friday, 6 February 2015

Coconut and cranberry snack balls - recipe


The website This Rawsome Vegan Life has changed the way I cook and bake. Its author, Emily, has shown me that you can make all sorts of foods that are healthy for your body without destroying the planet or causing unnecessary suffering. I bought her "Rawsome Vegan Baking" cookbook and have been amazed at the possibilities. I urge anyone to go and have a look at her website.
 
I have tried many of the recipes both from the blog and from the book. They are all so easy and almost impossible to fail! They are perfect for Finn to work on alongside me. I find myself so much more relaxed in the kitchen preparing raw food than when baking with the oven or hob, having to check the temperature, making sure Finn is always at a safe distance, making sure the food isn't either undercooked or overcooked, letting it cool, etc.
 
With raw recipes, all of this anxiety needn't be. We can really take our time and bake together peacefully.
 
The wonderful thing about Emily's recipes is that they have taught me to bake delicious raw, vegan treats. They have taught me to trust myself and have a go at mixing ingredients following my instinct. Raw food is so easily fixable if you make a mistake. Too wet? Add a bit more oats. Too dry? Try some dates. I used to dislike cooking because of all the possible mistakes I could make along the way. Now I find it a lot more fun!
 
I made these coconut and cranberry snack balls the other day. From scratch! I'm amazed that I can do that. They are so delicious!

 

I'm really proud to share my first recipe on this blog. I hope you try it!

Coconut and cranberry snack balls

(You need a blender for this)

Ingredients:

1 cup of porridge oats
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1/2 cup of cashews
2tbsps of melted coconut oil
1/4 cup of cranberries
1/4 cup of ground almonds
1/4 cup dessicated coconut + a bit more for sprinkling on top

Blend the oats, cashews and almonds together into a powder. Add the cranberries and dessicated coconut. Blend. Add in the melted coconut oil and the maple syrup. Blend again.

Spoon out onto a clean surface and roll into walnut-sized balls. Sprinkle with a bit of dessicated coconut.

So easy!


Finn did most of the work by himself. To my surprise, he managed to roll a few balls evenly. It must be all the playdough practice!

The snack balls are so delicious, and a healthy snack too!

I would love to know if you try this recipe.

5 comments:

  1. have been meaning to make snack bars/healthy snacks for aaaages so thanks for this recipe will try it soon . This week alone I bought 4 boxes of Organix snack bars totalling over £8, so it will be good for health & our pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have been meaning to make snack bars/healthy snacks for aaaages so thanks for this recipe will try it soon . This week alone I bought 4 boxes of Organix snack bars totalling over £8, so it will be good for health & our pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely good for your wallet as well as your health! Let me know if you try them.

      Delete
  3. I wanted to let you know that your blog has been nominated for the Liebster Award! Check out the details here: http://plantingpeas.com/liebster-award/ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Elaine! I'll go and have a look at the details.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...