Monday, 28 December 2015

The den building craze


It's been a long time since I last wrote here. Life has been quiet for us recently, with quite a lot of time spent at home as the weather has been rather wet. For the last three months, Finn has been fully involved in one of his new passions: building dens. He uses anything he can find in the house; sofa parts, cushions, dining chairs, his table, his Fun Pod, blankets, string lights... anything at all. It has been such a strong interest for him, that he would build new dens twice a day, every day. In the past three months there hasn't been a single day without a new den somewhere in the house.


He carries such a sense of purpose when building. Gathering materials, arranging them into the shape he imagines, creating multiple tunnel entrances, cosy corners, even toy storage inside the dens, which he calls his houses.


Experimenting with tunnels

Using chairs to prop up sofa cushions, a blanket for a roof. This particular blanket has an integrated pocket on one side; he spent a long time thinking up different ways to drape it over his structure so that the pocket would be on the inside to become toy storage.

Here he decided to build the house around the existing toy shelf for ease of access

He loved using a very large cardboard box to make a wall.



The den above has several areas: a snack and Lego table, a book nook, a doll's bedroom and a sleeping area.




Yes, he did sleep in it one night. And so did I!


5 comments:

  1. Wow, I really wish Little Tree would get this engrossed in anything.

    It's beautiful being able to watch you give Finn the space to explore his interests and find his joy in the world.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Den building really is the first thing that Finn can get engrossed in, and I would say he started when he was 3 and 9 months (he will be 4 very soon). As I write this I can hear him upstairs delving into his new passion: moving furniture around! He has made up a "moving furniture" song which he is singing at the top of his voice, happily rearranging the rooms upstairs. I know that if I go take a look I will be very annoyed, so I'm keeping to myself for now! I wonder what it's all about, control of his environment maybe? Thanks for you comment, Belinda!

      Delete
  2. Hi Elsa,

    Little Tree just turned 4 yesterday. I thought Finn and he were about the same age :-)

    Would you mind if I drop you an email with some concerns. Seem to remember you have had Montessori training and I'm trying to untangle what's the age, what's just him and what's being a solo child.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,

      I do have Montessori training but not that much classroom experience. I can certainly try and give you my opinion as a mum of a same age child. Feel free to email me elsa.deblangey@yahoo.fr

      Elsa

      Delete
    2. Thanks Elsa,

      I'll email you when I manage to get my head together about it all. He is never likely to be in a Montessori classroom as we basically have no access to that style of education atm. Very much what I was looking for was an opinion of a knowledgeable Mum around the same age.

      Best Wishes and Happy New Year
      Belinda

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...