Sunday, 19 June 2016

Busy week (24)

Here's another busy week for Finn! We started with Forest School like every Monday where he especially had great fun with his good friend Freya pretending a rope was a snake. The simple things!


That afternoon he decided to make a castle tower out of cardboard in the shape of a cylinder, with a cone top. He seemed satisfied with the pyramid he made instead of the cone but couldn't figure out how to make a cylinder out of corrugated cardboard. One of his ideas was to cut out lots and lots of cardboard circles and glue them all on top of one another until it was tall enough to make a tower. We talked it through, modelled it with a smaller tower, before he realised he would need a lot of cardboard for that idea. I wanted to show him how to make a paper cylinder for inspiration so we got the geometric solids out, made a paper model, and he decided he would rather do something else.


The next day, he made a salt dough penguin for Father's day.


He is still interested in rainbows.


On Thursday he suddenly started drawing houses! Lots of them!


Discovering kinetic sand.


Experimenting with a rope, pulley and bucket.


We had my aunt and cousin over and Finn loved having visitors.


Finn has been awaiting Saturday impatiently as it was Fun Fair day! He and his friend loved this ride with foam!


He really surprised me when he went on the Helter Skelter by himself.


He loves Mathseeds, an online maths "course" for children. When he's stuck on a question we use Montessori materials to help!


Every other day or so I leave out a blank design for him to paint if he wants to. Today was a mandala.


I bought Finn a new game: "Into the Forest" which is about food chains. I got the recommendation from How we Montessori, and I recommend it too! We have played it many times. I love that it includes death and decay, which led to Finn asking a few philosophical questions and uttering strange sentences such as "death and decay eat everything" at the most unexpected times!



 We have received our caterpillars from Insect Lore, and have also decided it will be the last time we buy live animals as it seems quite cruel for them to grow in a tiny box with only mush for food instead of fresh leaves. Another interesting discussion we had with Finn.


Our best purchase recently was a bubble machine! So much fun!


I keep reading how important it is for parents to work on their own projects in front of their children to model planning, patience, managing frustration, etc. I used to sew a lot but had lost all motivation recently. I finally started again to make a topponcino for the new baby, and Finn immediately wanted to join in next to me with his own project.


Have a good week everyone, I'll be back next Sunday with photos of our week.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like life has been busy and full of fun :-D

    I like the idea of mathseeds but I'm really not sure about the programs reliance on "rewards". Are they handled in a reasonably unobtrusive way? Have you notice Finn moving from wanting to find the answer "just because he wants to know" to "because he wants the golden acorn"?

    I think Little Tree is getting to the point of wanting more challenge in this area but he is very prone to latching on to extrinsic rewards so I'm feeling a bit wary about this type of program.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda,

      To be honest I'm not a big fan of Mathseeds and I don't think I would recommend it, at least not for children so young. I really feel it takes away their chance to make their own discoveries, and leads them too fast onto lessons that are too advanced. Finn only likes it because he likes to play games on the computer, and to me this is not a good enough reason. He doesn't seem to be too interested in the rewards actually, but likes to carry on to see what's next. We are trying to wean him off Mathseed before it causes too much damage, but would like it to be natural rather than forced so we're not taking it all away at once. Finn has made definite progress in maths since using the program, but I don't see the point of it if he's not internally motivated. He remembers facts that he doesn't necessarily understand, so I would much rather he learns it all in his own time, at his own rhythm.

      I hope this answers your question.

      Delete
  2. Thank you,

    So very much what I needed to know. I am sure Little tree would love it as like Finn it's on the computer and almost anything on the computer rules. I was feeling tempted because I know he would make progress, and he is basically ignoring home based activities, but like you really don't like the applying rules when there is no understanding on why that rule came into existence. You can't be creative with something if you aren't able to bend it to breaking then push yourself to put it back together; fostering creativity is a whole lot more important to me than "knowledge".


    You have saved me from having to wean someone off it later and I am extremely grateful
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another busy week! The part about pt insects made me laugh as M had 2 'pet' wood lice last week which she loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another busy week! The part about pt insects made me laugh as M had 2 'pet' wood lice last week which she loved!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...